How can we help you?

Find out more about getting covered with Digital Risks and how to make a claim.

About Digital Risks

Does Digital Risks have an app?

While we don’t have a mobile app, our online customer account is available from your browser, offering a string of features to manage your insurance subscription.

How can I reach you?

You can get in touch with the team through the ‘Help’ message box at the bottom of the screen, by giving us a call on 0333 772 0759 or dropping us an email at

How is Digital Risks different from other insurance brokers?

In a nutshell, we make buying business insurance easy and intuitive for start-ups and small businesses in the tech and media space, unlike traditional insurers.

Our founders, Cameron Shearer and Ben Rose, created the business because they were frustrated that none of the big insurers or brokers understood digital businesses or catered to their needs. So, they decided to do something about it, developing a comprehensive range of covers dedicated to digital businesses, and an online offering that makes buying insurance totally painless - and provides better value.

With our unique online quote system, we consider all risks individually. We place each risk with the most suitable underwriter, rather than consolidating them into one generic product or just offering an off-the-shelf comparison service. It means our customers get better cover, better price, and a single, simple transaction online.

We’ve also made things a lot more flexible with a monthly subscription model. Our customers can change or cancel their cover at any time, without additional fees. This means you get more accurate cover and don’t pay for insurance you don’t need. We are helping our startup and SME customers to proactively manage the threats they face through ongoing risk management support, rather than disappearing until renewal time.

Is Digital Risks financially regulated?

Absolutely. Digital Risks is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. We are also backed by the Financial Service Compensation Scheme.

What does Digital Risks offer?

We’re a specialist insurance provider that focuses 100% on the needs of digital businesses.

That means our insurance is built around the way digital businesses work and protects against the technical, cyber and offline risks they face every day.

Our product range includes all the insurance covers that you might need for your business. Take a look at our business insurance section for more details about all our policies.

Who are the people behind Digital Risks?

Our founders, Cameron Shearer and Ben Rose, conceived the idea for Digital Risks while Cam was working at a digital advertising agency and Ben was working for a large insurer. Cam had the task of trying to organise insurance cover for his company but couldn’t find a provider that really understood what they did and could advise on suitable cover. The dynamic duo quickly saw a problem that needed solving and decided to join forces, combining their insurance and digital skills to develop a new type of insurance brand.

Getting covered

Can Digital Risks cover businesses outside the UK?

Currently, we can only provide cover online for companies registered in the United Kingdom and sole traders resident in the United Kingdom. We can provide cover offline for companies registered elsewhere in Europe and sole traders resident elsewhere in Europe, however we will require an application form completed - please contact us for a copy of the application form.

Unfortunately we can't currently provide cover for anyone elsewhere in the world - but watch this space!

Can I change my cover or add policies?

Absolutely. You can manage your insurance subscription in your online account. There, you can update your business details, edit your active cover and add new covers with more features to come very soon. If you have any questions, please contact or give us a call on 0333 772 0759 and our support team will be able to help you.

Can I sign up by phone?

If you prefer, we can go through your options over the phone and you can arrange a payment over the phone too. Whatever suits you best. Our phone number is 0333 772 0759.

Do I need employers liability?

If you are a UK business with one or more employees (other than public organisations) then yes, EL is a legal requirement. This applies even if you only employ contractors, casual, temporary or part-time staff. The only exceptions are if you employ immediate family members or your team works abroad – although with the latter, the country where they are based may have similar laws that you need to comply with.

How do I cancel my policy?

We know that business can be unpredictable, which is why we offer a monthly subscription that you can change or cancel at any time. Simply send an email to providing at least 30 days’ notice and telling us the date you want the policy to end. Please bear in mind that you may need to pay one final month’s premium depending on when your next payment is due.

How do I know what my policy covers?

You can view and download your policy documents in your online customer account. As well as policy schedule and summary of cover, you can access the statement of fact and evidence of cover.

How do I pay Digital Risks?

The best way to pay is via credit or debit card.

We don’t accept cash or cheques but you can also pay with a BACS transfer if you prefer to pay annually.

If you prefer to pay annually, please give us a call on 0333 772 0759 so we can take your card payment over the phone.

How is my insurance premium calculated?

To calculate your premium, we look at a variety of factors related to your business, such as its size, turnover and number of employees. Your business activities are also important, as some types of work naturally involve more risk than others. It also depends on the type of insurance you are buying. So, if for example you’re buying office contents insurance, your premium will depend on the value of the equipment and belongings you want to insure.

How long is a quote valid for?

Your quote will be valid for 30 days unless stated otherwise.

How much cover do I need?

You must have a minimum cover of £10 million for employers liability if you have employees, which is a standard limit. Failure to have this can mean fines of £2,500 for every day that you’re not properly insured.
Various factors influence the level of cover you need, including the size of your business, the type of work you do and the requirements of your clients. You may also find that your regulatory body specifies a certain level of cover, depending on the industry you operate in.

Is business insurance tax-deductible?

Business insurance is tax-deductible and along with accountancy and legal fees, counts as allowable business expenses. Insurance is VAT exempt but subject to Insurance Premium Tax at a lower rate.

Is insurance compulsory?

Employers liability is a legal requirement for all businesses with employees (including interns and freelancers). You may also find that your specific business type has specific insurance obligations,so check with your industry body or regulator to be sure.

What do I do if I have multiple business activities?

No problem, give us a call and we’ll see what we can do.

What do I do if my business type isn’t on the list?

Not a problem – just send us a message or give us a call on 0333 772 0759 and we’ll let you know if we can cover your business activities.

What if I don’t have a registered company name?

If you are a sole trader, you should enter your own name. If you register a company at a later date, you can get in touch with us to amend your policy.

Can I change my business details at a later date?

You can update your details in your online customer account. Simply log in and go to the Business details section, where you can edit your business and trading name, employee and turnover number, as well as add or remove premises. Your policy document will be updated automatically.

What is an Employee Reference Number?

An Employee Reference Number (ERN) is a unique number given to every business that registers with HM Revenue and Customs as an employer. It’s a unique set of letters and numbers used by the taxman to identify your business and may also be referred to as an employer PAYE reference. Your ERN will include two parts: a three-digit HMRC office number, and a reference number unique to your business.

If you don't know your ERN, simply check the box that says "We're exempt from having an ERN or will provide it within 30 days".

What types of business insurance do I need?

It will depend on your business and the types of risks you face, but most businesses need at least some insurance. When you start your online quote with Digital Risks, select your business type and industry and our quote builder will list all covers that are relevant to you and you might want to consider.

What information do I need to provide for a quote?

We just need a few details from you to create a tailored quote. So, you’ll need to provide your name, company nameand business activities. It’s also handy to know the amount of cover you need. If you’re not sure, get in touch with the support team and we’ll be more than happy to assist.

Who can get a quote?

Anyone can start a quote here. If you find that your business type isn’t listed in the dropdown, leave a message via the ‘Help’ button and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

If you would prefer to speak to us, give the team a call on 0333 772 0759.

Why do I need business insurance?

It might not sound all that exciting, but insurance keeps brilliant businesses up and running, and doing what they do best, every day of the week. As a start-up or a small business, facing risks and challenges is all part of the job. But no matter how good you are, sometimes things happen that are completely out of your control. It could be a data breach, a robbery, or one of your customers taking legal action against you. That’s when insurance comes into its own, helping you cover the costs and manage the fall-out. So, you have the headspace to focus on building an awesome business.

Want to know more? Then check out 10 reasons why you need business insurance.

Will I be covered straight away?

When you buy your policy, we’ll ask you when you want it to start. That can be the same day or at some point in the future. You are then covered from 00:00 on the day you choose.

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

You can make a claim from your online customer account. Simply log in and go to Make a Claim section, where you can provide as much detail as possible about your claim, including a crime reference number (if applicable), the date of loss or claim made against you, type of claim and its detailed description. You can also attach any relevant supporting documentation like proof of loss, proof of purchase, a letter of demand or a statement of claim. Once you submit a claim, our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.

How do you settle a claim?

It depends on the policy and the claim. Where items have been lost, stolen or damaged, we might arrange for the items to be replaced or make a payment to you. If you’re liable for something we will assist you with legal support.

How fast will a claim be paid?

We know that our customers don’t have the luxury of time following an insurance claim, so we always aim to have things settled as soon as possible. For smaller claims, that’s usually within a couple of days (or hours) of receiving the relevant information. For larger claims, it can sometimes take longer.

How much excess would I have to pay if I make a claim?

On many of our policies, you don’t have to pay any excess, however, this varies depending on the size of your business, the type of policy and level of cover you have. We’ve worked hard to make sure the excess is as low as possible for the cases where you have to pay one. You will be notified what excess you might have to pay if you make a claim at the point of receiving a quote.

What documents do you need from me to make a claim?

It will depend on the claim, so our team member will advise you on what’s required. If you discover that something has been maliciously damaged, lost or stolen, please notify the police straight away. For more information read our article how can I be sure my insurer will pay my claim.

When should I report a claim?

It’s important that any claim - or incident that could result in a claim - is reported to us as soon as possible. This includes if you, or one of your employees, becomes aware of a legal claim being made against you, or discovers a problem that could result in a legal claim (regardless of whether anyone outside your organisation knows about it). It also includes where you, or one of your employees, have received a written or verbal complaint. Even if you’re unsure, it’s better to let us know!

Will my premium increase after a claim?

Possibly. We take various factors into account when calculating premiums, and past claims are one of those factors. Having said that, it depends on the number of claim(s), what has caused the claim(s), and how much was paid.