Contents and equipment insurance

From one-man-bands and freelancers, to the small business world and more established operations, all businesses have the kit they rely on, and losing it can make it hard or impossible to do your best work.

Get a quote in minutes
Award-winning cover
Only pay for what you need

Contents and equipment insurance key features

Protect your gear

Whatever kit you rely on, whether that's a laptop, tables and chairs or more technical machinery, having it lost, stolen or damaged is a serious headache. With our business office contents cover, we'll replace your gear and have you back up and running in no time.

Cover on the move

Always darting between meetings, or jet setting around the world? Then you'll need mobile protection. Our portable equipment insurance covers everything you take out and about with you, including laptops, mobile phones, cameras and tablets.

Co-working? No problem

Many providers won't cover your belongings in a co-working space. Not us! Our business contents cover has features designed specifically for digital businesses, co-working spaces are included at no extra cost. All you need to do is make sure your belongings are locked up when unattended.

Digital Risks make insurance easy!

zigzag-0Created with Sketch.

Hassle-free insurance

Arrange your business insurance in minutes, by getting a quote and buying your policy online. No confusing forms or jargon, just plain English and a fast, seamless experience.

zigzag-1Created with Sketch.

Flexibility and growth

Our monthly subscription model gives you ultimate flexibility, with the option to cancel or change your cover at any time. No more annual contracts, it's insurance that grows with your business.

zigzag-3Created with Sketch.

Making a claim

Need to make a claim? With Digital Risks, it's a piece of cake. No outsourcing to third parties or lengthy delays, all claims are handled by our team personally and on a first-name basis.

Business contents insurance guide

What is contents and equipment insurance?

Even in the digital age, your business needs a physical base. Your office premises are the hub and heart of your operations, home to the equipment, documents and other belongings that are integral to what you do.

Having this property stolen or damaged would be a nightmare come true, leaving you with scary bills to replace expensive everything, and business downtime on top. That’s why business and office contents cover is so important, as it will protect your business by picking up the bill for stolen or damaged property and equipment, if you’re ever faced with disaster.

With Digital Risks, our ‘all-risks’ policy covers you in the case of malicious or accidental damage, as well as the effects of fire, theft and flood. Business contents cover also includes items that you’re temporarily responsible for, while they’re located on your premises, plus we’re one of the only insurers to cover you in a co-working space.

What are the risks of under-insuring your office?

As a digital business, you might spend most of your working day online, but that doesn’t mean the physical stuff is any less important. From your technical equipment, to the chair you’re sitting on and even the coffee machine in the corner, how would you cope if they were damaged or destroyed?

In a fast-moving world, just a few days downtime can mean lost business, earnings and potential impacts on your reputation. And that’s on top of shelling out to replace everything.

What to watch out for in an office and equipment policy?

When purchasing your business equipment insurance policy, be aware that cover limits should be based on the replacement value of your contents, rather than the market value.

And don’t forget to include any leased items in your totals. If your business rents an office, check with your landlord before buying business contents cover, as you may find that you’re partially covered through their business insurance.

Who is office contents insurance for?

Business contents insurance is one of those essential insurance policies, whatever the size or activities of your business.

From one-man-bands and freelancers, to the small business world and more established operations, all businesses have the kit they rely on, and losing it can make it hard or impossible to do your best work.

So, whether you just need a laptop and smartphone, or rely on more specialist technology, Digital Risks’ business contents cover will make sure it’s quickly replaced in the event of theft, loss or damage.

Things you can do to keep your contents and equipment safe

For businesses based in a co-working or shared space, your business contents policy is only valid if your belongings are securely locked while unattended.

For laptops and monitors, a Kensington Lock is the best solution when you’re not around. With your other items, make sure you use a locker, or a lockable desk drawer, so they aren’t easy pickings for any passing opportunists.

We're rated excellent by our customers

Excellent value at an affordable monthly cost. I have not needed use the services. But its good to know I have the insurance there to allow me to get on with my work.

James, J. Black Photography

Flexible. simple, easy, immediate. As a busy freelancer I need flexibility to potentially change the policy month by month - very handy and a feature I didn't find with other providers.

Tim, Graphic Design Freelancer

Excellent service, and really lovely people. Completely understanding of small or start up businesses, and a willingness/ability to be flexible. I'm very happy.

Lorna, Magic Penny Gifts

A super slick interface and all around great experience. Thumbs up Digital Risks! Having spoken to a number of "large" insurers, the pricing I received from Digital Risks was much more competitively priced for "like for like" cover. Highly recommended.

Jonathan, Frello

Office contents and portable equipment insurance FAQs

What is office contents and portable equipment insurance and what does it cover?

The name speaks for itself - office contents insurance covers everything that you keep in your workplace, including equipment (portable or otherwise), furniture and its contents, and everything else that you might find in your office, no matter how valuable, big or small.

Portable equipment insurance also does what it says on the tin, covering everything you take out and about with you, including mobile phones, laptops and tablets.

What kind of businesses do you provide cover for?

Is it mandatory to take out office contents insurance?

What isn’t covered by office contents insurance?

What level of this cover does my business need and how much will it cost me?

How can I pay for my cover?

How do I get an invoice?

How can I make changes to my office contents policy or make a claim?

What excess would I need to pay?

What kind of claims does office contents cover?

What else do I need?

What else should I do to protect my belongings

Further reading

23 May 2019
3 minute read

Why is cybersecurity important?

To prevent your business from being a victim of third-party cyber attacks, there is a number of things you can do. Don't follow the wrong example - get your business covered.

20 May 2019
4 minute read

Small business workshops and training providers

While there’s a lot to be said for learning on the job, it certainly helps to have expert advice to fall back on, when starting a small business.

15 May 2019
7 minute read

25 cybersecurity resources you need to see

Here are 25 of the best cybersecurity resources out there to stay up to date with the rapidly growing area.

Award-Winning Insurance

We're the British Insurance Awards 2018 Insurance Start-up Winner - recognised for our innovative range of covers, online customer experience and flexible subscription model, which make buying and managing insurance easy and accessible for businesses in the digital industries.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Tech Nation

You're in safe hands

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by security with Standard & Poor's A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the insurer has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at