Covid-19: We're open for business as usual. Find out more here or contact us if you have any questions.

Self-employed insurance

Flexible business insurance that adapts to your needs.

Self-employed insurance quote

per month

The freedom of self-employment can be exhilarating, but with it comes the admin of getting insurance.

Our cover offers the flexibility self-employed professionals need. Big project with a client who requires you to have extra public liability cover while you're working together?

No problem. Adjust or even cancel your cover, as and when you need. No fees.

Who it's for:

  • Self-employed professionals
  • Business owners
  • Sole traders

What insurance do I need if I'm self-employed?

Being your own boss exposes you to risks you wouldn't face as a traditional employee. Depending on the nature of your work, you may want to combine a selection of the covers below to protect your business.

Professional indemnity

Clients pay for your knowledge and expertise, but what if you make a mistake? If your advice doesn't work out as expected, you could face a lawsuit, with legal costs and compensation to pay. If that happens, professional indemnity cover (PI) will ensure you're protected. Plus, clients may insist you have it – so it could help you win assignments (or not lose them!)

Public liability

Our public liability insurance for freelancers will protect you if you cause injury or property damage to a third party, either at your home office, coworking space, at a client's office, or when out and about. It's also worth bearing in mind that some of your clients, or even suppliers, might ask you to have PL, so make sure your minimum cover limit meets their requirements as well as your own.

Business contents cover

Whatever kit you rely on, whether that's a laptop, filming equipment or more technical machinery, having it lost, stolen or damaged will leave you high and dry. With our freelance contents insurance and equipment cover, we'll replace your gear and have you back up and running in no time. And unlike with many providers, being based in a coworking space is no problem.

Cyber insurance

If you work remotely and handle a lot of client data then you could be at risk of a cyber attack or data breach. Cyber insurance for freelancers will protect you for a breach of data protection laws (where insurable by law) and your liability for handling data, as well as cover for extortion, system rectification costs, plus PR expenses and financial loss due to system downtime.

We've made insuring your business so simple, you'll be covered in less than 10 minutes

Self-employed insurance FAQs

Do you need insurance if you're self-employed?

Business insurance isn't a legal requirement for anyone - with the exception of employers liability, which is mandatory for employers. However, may find that certain clients will require you to have specific covers. For example, public liability insurance is often required by clients.

How much does self-employed insurance cost?

This all depends on the types and level of cover you select to protect your business. Our cover starts at £5.13 per month. Our quote journey, which takes less than 10 minutes, will take you through your options to help you determine which covers you need.

Get your self-employed insurance in less than 10 minutes

Pick from our broad range of specialist covers and tailor them to your business to get the exact protection you need. Change or cancel it anytime from your online account.

Essential covers

per month

Essential for all businesses needing protection against bodily injury and lost or damaged property.

Select from:

Professional covers

per month

Protect against risks associated with the professional services you provide and the way you market your business.

Select from:


per month

Boost your cover:

We insure thousands of innovative businesses

Check out our latest posts

Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.