Contents and equipment insurance

Fast, effective and commitment-free contents insurance.

Get a quote
Get a quote in minutes
Award-winning cover
Only pay for what you need

Bespoke office insurance cover

24% of businesses were victim of theft in the past 12 months.
From one-man-bands and freelancers, to the small business world and more established operations, all businesses have the kit they rely on, and losing it can make it hard or impossible to do your best work.

If you suffer theft or damage on your premises, or from your co-working space, business contents insurance ensures you won’t be left out of pocket. Covering equipment, office furniture, documents and cash, this cover is vital to keep your business up and running.

Digital Risks' award-winning contents and equipment cover is designed specifically for today's entrepreneurs and fast-moving, digital businesses.

From £9.33 per month

Worldwide cover
New for old replacement
Fast claims service
Co-working spaces

Get a quote

Benefits of contents and equipment insurance

Protect your gear

Whatever kit you rely on, whether that's a laptop, tables and chairs or more technical machinery, having it lost, stolen or damaged is a serious headache. With our business office contents cover, we'll replace your gear and have you back up and running in no time.

Cover on the move

Always darting between meetings, or jet setting around the world? Then you'll need mobile protection. Our portable equipment insurance covers everything you take out and about with you, including laptops, mobile phones, cameras and tablets.

Co-working? No problem

Many providers won't cover your belongings in a co-working space. Not us! Our business contents cover has features designed specifically for digital businesses, co-working spaces are included at no extra cost. All you need to do is make sure your belongings are locked up when unattended.

Award-winning insurance

We're the British Insurance Awards 2018 Insurance Start-up Winner - recognised for our innovative range of covers, online customer experience and flexible subscription model, which make buying and managing insurance easy and accessible for businesses in the digital industries.

Business contents insurance guide

What is contents and equipment insurance?

Even in the digital age, your business needs a physical base. Your office premises are the hub and heart of your operations, home to the equipment, documents and other belongings that are integral to what you do.

Having this property stolen or damaged would be a nightmare come true, leaving you with scary bills to replace expensive everything, and business downtime on top. That’s why business and office contents cover is so important, as it will protect your business by picking up the bill for stolen or damaged property and equipment, if you’re ever faced with disaster.

With Digital Risks, our ‘all-risks’ policy covers you in the case of malicious or accidental damage, as well as the effects of fire, theft and flood. Business contents cover also includes items that you’re temporarily responsible for, while they’re located on your premises, plus we’re one of the only insurers to cover you in a co-working space.

Who is office contents insurance for?

Business contents insurance is one of those essential insurance policies, whatever the size or activities of your business.

From one-man-bands and freelancers, to the small business world and more established operations, all businesses have the kit they rely on, and losing it can make it hard or impossible to do your best work.

So, whether you just need a laptop and smartphone, or rely on more specialist technology, Digital Risks’ business contents cover will make sure it’s quickly replaced in the event of theft, loss or damage.

What are the risks of under-insuring your office?

As a digital business, you might spend most of your working day online, but that doesn’t mean the physical stuff is any less important. From your technical equipment, to the chair you’re sitting on and even the coffee machine in the corner, how would you cope if they were damaged or destroyed?

In a fast-moving world, just a few days downtime can mean lost business, earnings and potential impacts on your reputation. And that’s on top of shelling out to replace everything.

Things you can do to keep your contents and equipment safe

For businesses based in a co-working or shared space, your business contents policy is only valid if your belongings are securely locked while unattended.

For laptops and monitors, a Kensington Lock is the best solution when you’re not around. With your other items, make sure you use a locker, or a lockable desk drawer, so they aren’t easy pickings for any passing opportunists.

What to watch out for in an office and equipment policy?

When purchasing your business equipment insurance policy, be aware that cover limits should be based on the replacement value of your contents, rather than the market value.

And don’t forget to include any leased items in your totals. If your business rents an office, check with your landlord before buying business contents cover, as you may find that you’re partially covered through their business insurance.

Other covers to consider

Professional indemnity insurance

Covers your liability to customers for professional mistakes, errors or omissions in services you provide.

Cyber insurance

Covers your liability for failing to protect data, as well as penalties for not complying with data protection law.

Employers liability insurance

Covers your liability to employees for bodily injury or work-related sickness.

Public liability insurance

Covers your liability to members of the public for bodily injury or damage to their property.

Commercial legal protection

Covers compensation awards, professional fees and legal costs associated with a range of legal disputes.

Management liability

Covers the personal liability of your directors and officers for wrongful acts in managing the business.

Get a quote

Office contents and portable equipment insurance FAQs

What is office contents and portable equipment insurance and what does it cover?

The name speaks for itself - office contents insurance covers everything that you keep in your workplace, including equipment (portable or otherwise), furniture and its contents, and everything else that you might find in your office, no matter how valuable, big or small.

Portable equipment insurance also does what it says on the tin, covering everything you take out and about with you, including mobile phones, laptops and tablets.

What kind of businesses do you provide cover for?

Digital Risks covers a broad range of business types. Whether you have an established company, a small startup, or you work as a contractor or freelancer, we can certainly take care of you. When you start an online quote, just start typing the first few letters of your business activity and our system will do the rest. And if it’s not on the list, give us a call and we’ll sort you out with a tailored policy.

Is it mandatory to take out office contents insurance?

Although it isn’t legally required, office contents and portable equipment insurance will give you peace of mind that your business’ belongings are protected, whether you work in your own office, a coworking space, from home or on the move.While we can’t prevent accidents, damage or theft, we can make sure that any affected items are replaced, with minimal stress. So you can get back to work asap.

What isn’t covered by office contents insurance?

While it does protect all of the business possessions you keep in your office and that you take out and about with you, this policy does not cover any accidents involving employees or members to the public that might happen on your premises. For this you would need public and employers liability cover.

What level of this cover does my business need and how much will it cost me?

It might seem obvious, but it all depends on how much equipment and other contents you’ve got to insure. You need to work out, in the worst case scenario, how much would it cost to replace everything in your office? That includes any cash.

Similarly, for portable equipment insurance, you need to define how much it would cost to replace the portable equipment you usually take out and about with you. For this element, it’s also important to define the territory within which you want to be covered (be that the UK only, Europe or worldwide), as this will also affect the cost of your cover.

How can I pay for my cover?

At Digital Risks, we don’t like to put constraints on anyone, especially our customers. All of our policies are sold as flexible pay-monthly subscriptions, helping you to manage your cash flow, and giving you the freedom to change or cancel your cover at any time.

How do I get an invoice?

Invoices for your monthly payments are available on request, so all you need to do is give us a call (or drop us a line), and we’ll get the requested documents sent out to you as quickly as possible. Alternatively, we can set up your account so that you automatically receive these on a monthly basis.

How can I make changes to my office contents policy or make a claim?

Our monthly subscription model gives you ultimate flexibility, with the option to cancel or change your cover at any time. We know that small businesses can grow and change quite frequently, which is why we made it incredibly easy to amend your policy.Just get in touch with us by phone, email or webchat in the bottom right corner of this page.

Same goes for making a claim. We won’t burden you with loads of process and paperwork. All you need to do is let us know what happened and we’ll sort everything out for you as soon as possible.

What excess would I need to pay?

Our online office contents and personal equipment policy has a standard excess of £100 per claim. All other expenses and costs will be covered on our side. Please be aware, however, that for offline advised clients who have tailormade policies, the excesses do vary depending on the risk.

What kind of claims does office contents cover?

Let’s see, you’ve just settled in your new co-working space, or, perhaps, you’re working from a safety of your own flat. What could possibly happen? The answer is a lot, and we don’t necessarily mean good things.

  1. When you’re busy and have a lot on your mind,it’s not always easy to remember to take care of everything and if you become distracted at the wrong moment, that could mean leaving your laptop on the tube. Disaster! Lost and found can be helpful, unless you actually want to get your stuff back. Then they're not.

  2. The number of co-working spaces grows by the minute these days, and so does their appeal - the amenities, networking and community benefits are endless for a small business. However, these spaces can also have their downsides, including thatyour office contents become slightly easier to access, if an opportunist thief manages to sneak their way in. Luckily at Digital Risks, we have your back even if you’re based in a co-working environment. You just need to ensure your belongings are locked away in a locker or desk drawer when you’re not around, or in the case of desktop computers, that they’re secured with a Kensington Lock.

  3. It doesn’t bear thinking about but fires and floods can happen to anybody, destroying valuable possessions and livelihoods in the process. It’s in situations like this that Contents Insurance comes into its own, enabling you to replace your stuff and get your business up and running again as soon as you can.

What else do I need?

Alongside contents insurance, don’t forget that if you have people employed in your business, you’re legally required to take out employer’s liability insurance. Other key considerations include public and product liability cover, which at Digital Risks come as part of a package with EL.

Another important cover to consider is professional indemnity insurance, which protects your business in the event of a claim for professional oversight or malpractice.

What else should I do to protect my belongings

Insurance is your last line of defence, but it’s obviously preferable if your belongings stay safe and sound in the first place. This is where taking the right preventative measures come in. Make sure you keep your office locked whenever there’s nobody around or, if you’re hot-desking, don’t leave anything valuable unattended - that’s what lockers are for!

Protecting your portable belongings can be trickier, but ensure you lock your device with a password to secure your data, activate ‘find my phone’ functionality, and if you do get caught out, inform the police as soon as you can.

Read more here.

Further reading
20 Jan 2020
3 minute read

Finding the right cover that aligns with startup mentality

We had a chat with Oliver Mitchell, Moneycado founder, about why he chose Digital Risks and what makes us different from other insurance providers.

13 Jan 2020
4 minute read

Year in review 2019: the Digital Risks milestones

As we look forward to a string of updates in 2020 - including new features and products - we wanted to celebrate our journey and achievements so far.

30 Dec 2019
3 minute read

Top 5 startups to watch in 2020

We have collected our favourite startups that have impressed us throughout 2019 and, undoubtedly, will continue to do so in the year ahead.

We insure thousands of innovative businesses
Tech Nation
We're rated excellent by our customers

Excellent value at an affordable monthly cost. I have not needed use the services. But its good to know I have the insurance there to allow me to get on with my work.

James, J. Black Photography

Flexible. simple, easy, immediate. As a busy freelancer I need flexibility to potentially change the policy month by month - very handy and a feature I didn't find with other providers.

Tim, Graphic Design Freelancer

Excellent service, and really lovely people. Completely understanding of small or start up businesses, and a willingness/ability to be flexible. I'm very happy.

Lorna, Magic Penny Gifts

A super slick interface and all around great experience. Thumbs up Digital Risks! Having spoken to a number of "large" insurers, the pricing I received from Digital Risks was much more competitively priced for "like for like" cover. Highly recommended.

Jonathan, Frello
You're in safe hands
Authorised by the FCA

The FCA supervises UK financial services firms to protect consumers. We are directly authorised and regulated by the FCA and our Firm Reference Number is 656459. These details can be confirmed on the Financial Services Register at or by calling the FCA on 0845 606 1234.

A-rated financial strength

Our insurance products are underwritten by Standard & Poor’s A-rated financial strength or higher. This means the underwriter has been independently assessed by the world’s leading credit rating provider and found to have a strong capacity to meet financial commitments (pay claims).

Protected by the FSCS

If you are a business with an annual turnover under £1m, charity with an annual income under £1m, or trust with net assets under £1m, then you will be entitled to compensation from the FSCS in the unlikely event we cannot meet our obligations. Full details and further information on the scheme are available at