Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

Written byBen Rose
Updated 26th September 2016

Professional indemnity insurance (PI) is designed for those businesses that offer a professional service or advice. That includes software developers, IT consultants, advertising agencies, designers; any business where you're selling your knowledge and expertise.

As the Startup Surgery Insurance Doctor at Tech City News, Ben was asked:

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

Ben's advice provides information on when you might be liable for professional negligence in today's digital age.

He explains that if you're a software development business, you might be held liable if the software you've built doesn't meet the specification, is delivered late, fails or isn't fit for purpose. You might also be held liable for breaching an NDA or right to privacy, IP infringement or transmitting a virus. Even if you've done nothing wrong, but your client alleges that you have, you could incur some hefty legal costs defending yourself.

He explains the different types of PI policy, as well as other factors including the location of your clients and the retroactive date.

Read the full article at UKTN – Startup Surgery.

Do I need professional indemnity insurance?

Share this article

Related Posts

21st January 2019
1  minute read

What kind of insurance does your small business require?

Working out what small business insurance you need can seem pretty daunting, so here're the key policies that you need to consider.

5th November 2018
1  minute read

Ultimate guide to startup insurance

We take a comprehensive look at the risks your startup business faces, what's legally required, what to look for, how premiums are calculated, how to protect your business, and, if the worst happens, how to make a claim.

16th August 2018
1  minute read

Your ultimate guide to cyber security

Everything you need to know about cyber-attacks, data breaches & cyber security. Find out about the risks and how to safeguard your business.